Mac ‘n Cheese Greek Style… By Lucy Simmons
August 15, 2015
Celebrating the marriage of macaroni cheese, Greek style, seasoned lamb in a herby tomato sauce topped with crispy breadcrumbs dripping in melted cheese.......A truly simple and delicious supper time treat, served with a handful of tomato & oregano flatbreads........
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 40 mins
- Yields: 6 Generous
1. Cook the macaroni according to the packet instructions in salted water. Rinse and drain, set aside.
2. In a large frying pan or saucepan add the vegetable oil and fry the diced onion for 5 minutes until golden, add the sliced pepper and spices (cinnamon, cumin, cayenne pepper, oregano) stir and cook for 3-5 minutes. Add the minced lamb and cook until brown, adding the chopped tomatoes stir and leave to gently simmer for 15-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Make the sauce by melting the butter into a saucepan, stir in the flour and cook stirring continually for 1 minutes. Pour the warmed milk into the saucepan in a steady stream, whisking continually for 3-5 minutes until it starts to thicken, season with sea salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and whisk in the cheese.
4. Pour the hot sauce over the macaroni in a large bowl and mix well until all the macaroni is coated in the sauce.
5. Add the macaroni into the lamb and stir well, season to taste. Pour into a large baking dish and spread over evenly. Scatter with cheese and seasoned bread crumbs. Place under a hot grill for 5-10 minutes until bubbling and golden brown. Serve straight to the table. Enjoy.