Pink Petal Celebration Cake… By Lucy Simmons
August 15, 2015
Having fun with my cake decorating skills and its perfect for a pink party.........
- Prep: 50 mins
- Cook: 20 mins
- Yields: 10 Generous
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Grease and line 2 x 8inch cake tins.
2. Beat together all the ingredients until pale and fluffy, beat for around 3-5 minutes. Place half of the mixture into each tin, level out with a spatular and bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until the skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes then run a knife around the edge to loosen the cake and turn out onto a cooling rack, leave to cool completely. I made the cake the day before I decorated it as it's much easier to work with the next day.
3. Beat the butter with a whisk until soft and pale, sieve over the icing sugar and beat until the butter cream is very pale then beat in the vanilla extract.
4. Spread a thin layer of butter cream between the two cakes and stick them together, trim the cake using a serrated knife so that the sides are straight. Spread another thin layer of butter cream over the top of the cake and around the sides. When spreading butter cream around the sides of a cake do it in small sections and spread it using a pallet knife, when you have spread it around the sides go over with the pallet knife to make it smooth, place the cake in the fridge for 10 minutes.
5. Split the remaining buttercream into two different bowls and using pink food colouring make one bowl pale pink and the other bright pink. Using a disposal piping bag with a circle nozzle fitted, fill one half with pale pink and the other with bright pink buttercream and squeeze out until the two colours are showing. Down the side of the cake pipe 4 dots and using a smaller pallet knife press down half of the circle and smudge out, pipe another 4 dots halfway along the smudge. Keep doing this around the whole cake and follow the same steps for the top of the cake, finishing off the centre with just a dot of butter cream. Sprinkle over some edible glitter. Enjoy.