Piri Piri Chicken & Sweet Potato Chips… By Lucy Simmons
February 7, 2015
Finger licking great....Succulent spicy piri piri chicken ideal for sharing, today served with soft and crispy sweet potato matchsticks, hot hot hot !!!
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 1 hr 30 mins
- Yields: 4 Large
1. Place the chicken in a roasting tin and cut it down the backbone, to butterfly. In a pestle and mortar add the fresh thyme leaves, 1 of the garlic cloves, smoked paprika and a pinch of salt. Smash and grind it all together adding a good splash of olive oil to create a smooth paste. Rub into the chicken making sure that you cover it all. Cover with cling film and marinate in the fridge for about 2 hours.
2. Preheat the over to 180C/gas mark 4.
3. In a large frying pan on a high heat add the onions, tomatoes, chillies and the remaining garlic clove and cook for 5-10 minutes or until soft, turing frequently. Cool slightly.
4. Using a hand blender, add all the fried vegetables and whiz with 2 1/2 tbsp of olive oil, add some water to loosen it, season to taste. Add half the sauce to the chicken, massaging into the skin and flesh, place the remaining in a ramekin to serve with the chicken.
5. Place the chicken in oven for 90 minutes, until cooked throughly.
6. Cut the sweet potatoes into thick matchsticks. Mix together the smoked paprika and semolina with a small pinch of salt and pepper and some more olive oil. Place the potatoes on a baking tray and drizzle over the oil, making sure all the potatoes are covered. Bake for 30-35 minutes until soft and crispy.
7. Serve with the reserved piri piri sauce......finger licking great.