Pitta Bread (Gluten Free)…From The Great British Bake Off…. By Lucy Simmons
September 13, 2015
One more recipe from the Great British Bake Off... Gluten free pitta breads, perfect to fill with your food favourites. Simon loves them packed with cruncy salad, roasted & shredded lamb, topped with a rich tomato & chilli sauce, I love them filled with my favourite roast chicken, salad and a fresh mayo, just perfect for my school lunch.... Give them a go..........
- Prep: 30 mins
- Cook: 10 mins
- Yields: 12 Large
1. In a jug mix the psyllium powder with 300 ml of water and set aside. It will turn thick.
2. In a large bowl mix together the flour and nigella seeds, place the yeast on one side of the bowl and salt in the other. Add the sugar. Crack the eggs into the centre of the flour with the vinegar, olive oil and psyllium mixture. Combine using a wooden spoon and until it forms a soft dough. Slowly pour 300ml of water into the dough and stir until it is soft and stick, you may not need to all of the water.
3. Place on a lightly floured surface and knead to form a smooth dough. Place in a lightly oiled bowl cover with a tea towel and leave to prove for 1 1/2 hours.
4. Preheat the oven to 220c/Gas 8. Line 3 baking trays with baking paper and place these in the oven to warm up.
5. Dust the work surface with flour and place the dough on the surface and divide into 12 equal pieces. Shape each into a ball and then roll out to an oval shape about 4 mm thick. Remove the trays from the oven and place the pitta breads on the tray. I put 2 pittas on each tray and once the first ones were cooked reused the trays to bake the second 6. Bake the pittas for 10-12 minutes, they should just be turning golden. When they are cooked wrap them in a tea towel to keep them soft. Enjoy.