Salted Caramel Cupcakes… By Lucy Simmons
February 20, 2016
Perfect for a celebration and totally delicious.....This is the most delicious cup cake you will ever taste!
- Prep: 40 mins
- Cook: 15 mins
- Yields: 24 Medium
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line two 12 hole muffin tins with cupcake cases. In a large bowl beat all the cake ingredients together until light and fluffy. Half fill the cupcake cases, bake for 15 minutes. The cakes should rise beautifully and have a golden colour. Leave to cool while preparing filling and topping.
- Caramel sauce: in a sauce pan melt together the butter, sugars and syrup, do not stir just swirl the sauce pan to mix and cook evening. Let the mixture simmer for 3 minutes. Pour in the double cream and 1/2 the rock salt and swirl again to mix everything together. When cooked pour into a jug to cool ready to pour into the centre of the cupcakes.
- Buttercream: Chop the butter into cubes and leave at room temperature to soften. Place a large glass bowl over a pan of simmering water, whisk the egg whites and sugar together until it forms stiff peaks and the mixture is hot to the touch. Remove from the heat and keep whisking until the mixture becomes cold. Whisk in the butter until it becomes smooth and is a pipeable consistency. Be certain when you add the butter that the mixture is not too hot or you won't get the desired taste. If the mixture begins to curdle pop it in the fridge for 15 minutes and then whisk again.
- Using a melon baller, scoop the centre out of each cupcake and fill the hole with the caramel sauce. Place the butter cream in a large pipping bag with a large star tip nozzle and pipe swirls on the top of each cake, drizzle over the remaining caramel sauce.
- Place a chunk of fudge in the side of the buttercream so that the cake resembles a 99 ice cream to serve. Fudge on the side to serve