Spectacular Humming Bird Cake… By Lucy Simmons
October 14, 2014
We saw Jamie Oliver making this spectacular cake recently and felt so inspired to give a go, soft, fruity, moist, sponge, it's like a carrot cake pumped up with a zesty lime frosting, adorned in crunchy nut brittle. We decorated ours in pretty little peppery Nasturtium petals, amazing and the foragers loved it. The only thing left on the plate..... crumbs.
- Prep: 30 mins
- Cook: 40 mins
- Yields: 1
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Grease and line 2 x 23cm cake tins.
2. In a bowl sieve the flour, mixed spice and then add the sugar and a pinch of salt.
3. Peel the bananas and mash them with a fork in a different bowl. Drain the pineapples and chop them into small pieces and add to the bananas with the oil, eggs and vanilla extract. Mix until fully combined and then fold in the dry ingredients. Finely chop the pecans and stir into the cake mixture. Divide the cake mixture into the tins and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until golden. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes then turn out onto a cooling rack.
4. For the icing beat together the icing sugar and butter until pale and creamy. Then add the cream cheese and the zest and juice of two limes. Beat together on a medium speed until it becomes smooth and well combined.
5. To make the brittle put the sugar into a non stick pan with a splash of water. Put on a high heat and wait until it bubbles and turns a golden colour. When it reaches this stage the pecans need to added. Then turn out onto a baking sheet. Leave to set and then break it up into small pieces.
6. Assemble the cake by putting the frosting into the middle of the cake and then put a layer on top, finally sprinkle over the smashed pecan brittle and a scattering of petals. Enjoy.