Chocolate Layer Passion Fruit Cake… By Lucy Simmons
April 21, 2016
Rich chocolate cake filled with creamed cheese passion fruit icing, an amazing combination........It looks great too....
- Prep: 35 mins
- Cook: 50 mins
- Yields: 12 Medium
- Preheat the oven to 180C and grease and line a 20cm spring form tin.
- In a large bowl beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in one egg at a time beating well between each egg.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder and bicarb, add half of the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and fold in gently until fully combined. Beat together the cream cheese and soured cream and add half of this mixture to the egg mixture. Add the remaining flour and cream cheese, beating well between each addition. Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 50 minutes, when inserting a skewer it should come out clean if it doesn't bake for 3 minute intervals until it does.
- To make the icing beat together the butter and icing sugar, once light and fluffy beat in the cream cheese and the passion fruit juice (cut the passion fruits in half and spoon the seeds into a sieve over a jug, push the seeds to get the juice and set the seeds aside for later) beat until well combined. Place in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- When the cake has cooked and cooled cut into three individual layers and place the icing in a pipping bag with a star tip nozzle. Pipe stars between each layer and stack the cakes. On the top layer of stars spoon over the passionfruit seeds. Store this cake in a cool area and it is best eaten on the day.