Mini Italian Christmas Panettone…..Your Way. By Lucy Simmons
December 2, 2015
Traditional Italian Christmas Panettone...........
- Prep: 40 mins
- Cook: 20 mins
- Yields: 12 Small
- Line a muffin tin with mini panettone cases, set aside.
- Put the yeast and 1 tsp of sugar into the warm milk and put aside until ready to use.
- Beat together the remaining sugar and butter with the vanilla extract until light and pale. Fold in the lemon and orange zest, beat in the eggs a little at a time and if the mixture starts to split add 1 tbsp of the flour.
- Place the flour in a large bowl with a pinch of salt and make a well in the centre. Pour the yeast mixture into the flour and stir. Fold the flour and yeast mixture into the butter mixture, bringing it together using your hands. Knead for 5 minutes in the bowl so that the dough comes together fully, then knead on a lightly floured surface for 10 minutes.
- Place in a clean lightly oiled bowl, covered with cling film and leave to rise in a warm area for 2 hours or until doubled in size.
- To make the fruit mixture: Put the raisins and sultanas into a small saucepan with the rum and let them cook for 5-10 until all the rum is absorbed. Pour into a small bowl and mix with the candied peel. Let it cool before using.
- To make the orange and cranberry: Soak the fruit in the liqueur for a few hours before using.
- There is no preparation for the chocolate.
- When the dough has doubled in size, knock back and knead for another 5 minutes. Gradually knead in either the traditional fruit, orange and cranberry or chocolate then shape into equal mini balls and place in the paper cases. Cover with cling film and leave to rise for another hour. Brush over with a little egg glaze.
- Preheat the oven to 180C and place the risen panettone in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown on top and when inserting a skewer it comes out clean.